Saturday, May 26, 2012

Felicidades to Susan Feeny

I’m delighted to announce that our Sangha member Susan Feeny will be receiving Jukai-─taking the vows, the recognition of her practice-─from Sydney Musai Walter Roshi of the Prajna Zendo outside Santa Fe. To take the vows she must first sew her black rakusu, following the ancient pattern diagrammed above. She’s an artist. It will be a snap! The ceremony will probably be in September, although the date is not finalized. Susan will keep us posted.

Susan is a long-time practitioner of the Dharma, having studied with Genpo and others from the Maesumi Lineage. Since I’ve known her,she has regularly attended sesshins and events with us and the Order of Clear Mind Zen, but the bulk of her practice has been with other sanghas. She became attending our services when we were at the Unitarian Center, and she has been a regular ever since. She didn’t want to become a “member” of our Sangha. She just wanted to come sit with us. She loves sitting and practicing with others who are committed to the dharma. That was fine. We should be so lucky to have three or four more such “non-members” be such good members.

Susan is a steady presence in our Sangha. She adds by her quiet and steady presence, she adds with her thoughtful discussion, and she adds by her balanced nature. Once before services (we were still at the UU Community), I asked her if she could gather some flowers for the altar. The desert garden out front was filled with flowering Texas Ranger sage and desert willows. She did so with such delight, I asked if she would bring flowers on a regular basis. That’s been well over a year now, and when she’s in town, she never forgets the flowers. They are always beautiful and thoughtfully arranged.

I wish to congratulate Susan now for her decision and for her practice, and we look forward to celebrate her Jukai when she returns with her rakusu hanging around her neck. We’ll di the Both Sides / No Sides Sangha usual. A vegetarian potluck!

1 comment:

  1. SUSAN FEENY ADDED THIS THOUGHFUL RESPONSE TO OUR ANNOUNCEMENT OF HER DECISION TO DO JUKAI AND TO SEW HER OWN RAKUSU. I'M ADDING IT HERE SO THAT THE CIRCLE WILL BE COMPLETE. I THNAK SUSAN FOR HER PARTICIPATION IN BOTH SIDES / NO SIDES ZEN COMMUNITY. MAY HER PRACTICE BE STRONG AND A BLESSING TO ALL OF HER COMMUNITIES. --Bobby Byrd

    Thank you for the support and kind words. I may come looking for some help if I get tangled in my thread.

    As far as the date for Jukai goes, nothing is set, I mentioned September because it is the next three day retreat at Prajna Zendo but it could also be in December during the Rohatsu retreat. It has been a couple of years since I decided to follow the Buddha Way and work with the precepts but I felt I needed to first find a personal teacher.

    I have only studied in the Maezumi Roshi lineage for about five years. I started to meditate almost 39 years ago but was stuck on the idea of being independent though all the books said I should find a teacher. I guess I thought they were talking to other people not me when they said that. It took me a long time to work through that. Of course having a teacher would have helped me move through that a lot faster. Not having a teacher was like letting the drunkest person in the car do the driving. I highly recommend that others that are deluded in this same way take heed and find a teacher.

    At some point I hope to take up the challenge of Koan study and both Musai Roshi and Daishin Sensei at Prajna Zendo have completed all of the Koans. There are not many in the US that have done that. I doubt I will ever be able to complete all 700 +/- koans but I think that practice might help me work with my mind as I age as well as be beneficial to my Zen practice. It is a different way to work with the teachings. I can use all the help I can get.

    When I came to Clear Mind I already was a member of another Sangha and studying with other teachers. I came because I needed local support and was encouraged to do so by my other teachers. At first I struggled with how to fit in because the wording for membership did not seem to fit so I decided to forget trying to make it fit and just show up and practice. Did I say the word “I” again? Sounds like a broken record. It was really simple once I got out of the way. I feel that I belong to the Clear Mind Sangha as well and am thankful that I have two wonderful local teachers to work with along with a close Sangha where I can practice and grow.

    Thanks for the encouragement! A veggie pot luck sounds great at any time.

    ReplyDelete